Cybersecurity, cyber law, privacy law and risk compliance are critical areas of knowledge in the current threat landscape, and with the right speaker, these topics are compelling, thought-provoking and even inspirational!
Tara Swaminatha started her career fixing computers, networks and applications as an information security technologist. Now, as a 20+ year veteran of the information security and privacy industry, she is the founder and principal of ZeroDay Law, a cybersecurity and privacy law firm specializing in incident response planning and the legal, business and technical aspects of cybersecurity and privacy.
With a diverse background and a wide array of expertise, Tara has experience talking about many cyber and legal topics, including:
- Cyber Law, including U.S. state and global legislation
- Privacy Law, including U.S. state and global legislation
- Incident Response Planning
- Cyber Risk & Compliance, Governance
- Privacy Risk & Compliance, Governance
- Cybersecurity Planning
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Guide for the Board
- Privacy and Security in the Metaverse
As a former AmLaw 100 partner and federal prosecutor in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Computer Crime & Intellectual Property Section, Tara brings real-world expertise with a sense of humor and humility. Explaining things in easy-to-understand language that is reliable, practical and action-focused, Tara finds a way to connect with her audience in an engaging way.
If you’re looking to add both expertise and excitement around cybersecurity topics, take a moment to reach out to Tara to request her as a speaker at your next event.
Connecting with Diverse Audiences
Tara founded ZeroDay Law so she could dedicate her practice to a deep-seated passion: actual diversity and mentoring, especially women of color. Tara prioritizes providing educational support and insight to minority, non-profit and diverse organizations—even traveling to remote regions of the world to lend her expertise in legal aspects of cybersecurity, privacy and the development of cybersecurity legislation and infrastructure.
Tara has spent years speaking at events and meetings around the world. Some of her biggest highlights include: Georgetown Law Cybersecurity Law Institute, ABA Litigation Section Conference, ABA Cybersecurity Section Conference, Corporate Counsel Women of Color Career Strategies Conference, IAPP, Incident Response Forum, American Society of International Law and the Professional Liability Underwriting Society. View her other past cybersecurity speaking events.
Send Speaker Request
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Guide for the Board (February 2023) Corporate Boards USA, Burbank, California.
- Avatar Alert! Securing the Metaverse and Rising Privacy Concerns (October 2022) Privacy, Security, Risk 2022. Conference International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Austin, Texas.
- What Lawyers Should Know about Bug Bounties (September 2022) ABA National Institute on Cybersecurity & Data Protection, San Francisco, California.
- Privacy 101 for Business Owners: How to Keep Your Customers’ Information, Including Credit Cards and Personal Data, Safe. (June 2022) Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC) Women of Color Entrepreneurs Virtual Conference.
- AGA-Africa / Nigerian Communications Commission (May 2022), Abuja, Nigeria.
- Cybercrime Investigation and Enforcement: A Global Perspective
- Obtaining evidence from U.S. service providers
- Incident Response Planning for government entities
- Global perspective on investigating cybercrime and the Budapest Convention on Cybercrime
- Internet Governance - Building national government cybersecurity and cybercrime strategies
- AGA-Africa /Zambian Anti-Corruption Commission, Zambian National Police and Zambian Drug Enforcement Commission (May 2022), Lusaka, Zambia.
- Cybercrime: A global perspective: International best practices and treaties
- Authenticating and admitting digital evidence in court
- Digital Investigations
- Social Media & Cloud Forensics
- Cybersecurity and Global Privacy Trends (September 2021) 17th Annual Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC) Career Strategies Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
- California Consumer Protection Act (November 2019) Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Data Protection and Privacy Legislation for Timor Leste (February 2021) Digital Connectivity and Cybersecurity Partnership (DCCP).
- What’s New in Privacy & Cybersecurity Law: Global Updates (September 2020) Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC) Career Strategies Conference, Virtual.
- 2020 Vision: Cybersecurity Trends and the Impact of COVID-19 (May 2020) ABA Litigation Section, Virtual Section Annual Conference.
- A Law Firm's Responsibility in Managing Data Risk (June 2019) ABA - Fourth National Institute on Cybersecurity and Data Protection, New York University, NY.
- Cybersecurity Agenda: Setting for the National Defense Authorization Act (February 2018) National Security Institute, Washington, DC.
- 10 Best Practices When Dealing with Ransomware (October 2018) Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC) Career Strategies Conference, New York, NY.
- GDPR Compliance & Incident Response Best Practices (2018) Squire Patton Boggs, United Kingdom.
- After the Breach: Digital Forensics and Remediation (April 2018) Incident Response Forum, Washington, DC.
- Technology 101: Cybersecurity Basics for Lawyers (May 2017) Georgetown Law Cybersecurity Institute, Washington, DC.
- Global Compliance Forum: Minimizing Risk to Protect Your Business Interests (November 2017) Squire Patton Boggs, Cleveland, OH.
- Internet Law & Policy Foundry - Snowden Effect: The Changing Landscape of Subpoenas, Transparency and Trust (October 2016).
- Responding to a Data Breach: How to Run a Cyber Investigation and Learn from the Breach (May 2016) Georgetown Law Cybersecurity Institute, Washington, DC.
- Cybersecurity Law 301(May 2016) Blue Cross Blue Shield 50th Annual Lawyers Conference.
- Cyber Security & NGOs: What Do You Need to Know (April 2016) Interaction (the largest alliance of NGOs).
- The Emergence of Cyber Deterrence, Implications for International Law (March 2016) American Society of International Law Annual Meeting.
- The Role of In-House Counsel in Cybersecurity in Both the Pre-and Post-Breach Worlds (November 2015) 11th Annual General Counsel Institute, National Association for Women Lawyers.
- In a Flash! A Lesson in Cybersecurity (October 2015) CLE on cyber governance and internal investigations.
- They keep fighting the good fight: Law enforcement success stories in cybercrime cases and efforts to protect victim companies (September 2015) Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Legal Department.
- Cooperative Cybersecurity Summit, Panelist, Law Forum Symposium: Refining Maryland Law in a Technological World (November 2014) University of Baltimore, MD.
- Are You Prepared for a Data Breach (October 2014) ICR, Webinar.
- Managing Cybersecurity Risk: Governance, Incident Response and Supply Chain/Vendors (July 2014) The Marbury Institute,
- US Cybercrime Law and Investigations: Shanghai Prosecutorial Delegation for Office of Global and International Strategies (December 2013) George Mason University.